14 Clare Row College Grove WA Australia 6230
9 am - 6 pm
Secondhand. Good condition. General edgewear. Front and back covers quite worn looking. Interior of book and bidding is very good.
Table of Contents:
1. Religious history in Western Australia by John Tonkin
2. Religious education under attack: the challenge to general religious instruction in the Western Australian parliament, 1898-1899 by Peter Wellock
3. The founding fathers of St Ildephonsus' College, New Norcia by Valerian Braniff
4. Protestants and the dispossessed in Western Australia: 1890-1910 by Elizabeth Willis
5. The founding and early years of the Convent of the Good Shepherd, Leederville by John O'Brien
6. Archbishop Sambell: the making of a social conscience by Anne Porter
7. Canon Robert Henry Moore: the Church of England in Western Australia and the First World War by John Smith
8. The Anglican Church in Western Australia during the Great Depression by John Cowdell
9. The Catholic Church in Western Australia at the time of the Great Depression by Katherine Massam
10. Christianity on the coalfields: a case study of Collie in the Great Depression by Raelene Frances
11. Perth's Greek Orthodox community builds its own Cathedral: 1910 - 1936 by John Yiannakis
12. Spreading the word: Joseph Budge, Colporteur by John Tonkin
13. Ordained women in the Uniting Church: comments on three case studies by Merrilyn Watson
14. Anglicans concerned for Aborigines and the Swan Valley fringe/ dwellers by Fay Clampett
15. The Western Australian churches' response to Aboriginal land rights: 1970-1985 by Robert Stringer
16. Records relating to religion in the State Archives of Western Australia by Tom Reynolds
17. Photographic sources on religious history in the J. S. Battye Library of West Australian History by Robin South
18. A select bibliography of published and unpublished works in Western Australian religious history by Heather M Vose
Greetings, my name is Miriam Mortimore, and I am The Book Merchant.
I have spent over 20 years as a professional librarian managing specialist collections and archives for government and large corporations. One of the most enjoyable aspects of my job has been building collections. It’s like Christmas when a book arrives, bundled up waiting to be unwrapped and explored.
As a librarian, I know how difficult it is to track down books - not all books are sold through online booksellers like Amazon or Booktopia. They may have a small print run, be out of print or are so rare that only a few copies have survived the years.
The books I choose to sell satisfy my librarian’s compulsion to curate. They are well researched and written, often award-winning. They are books that I would read and select if I were building a library collection. They may also present attitudes and values that are no longer held by most Australians.
I am also a budding eBook publisher. Some of the books I want to sell aren't in hardcopy anymore, and I will be creating eBooks so that my readers can access these books easily. They can always be printed out if you are hardcopy bound.
If you are an author, I happy to help with cost-effective electronic alternatives.
The Book Merchant specialises in Australian and Western Australian history and heritage and Australian social and cultural diversity. These are topics that matter as they shape our present and influence our future.
Much of Australia’s history has yet to be told or needs to be retold through a different lens. True stories of hardship and resilience, respect for the environment and sustainable living to survive. Stories of how communities formed and the attitudes they had towards “others”. It's fascinating, thought-provoking reading.
Enough about me. I often use the pronouns "us" and "we" on my website and in correspondence because I don't work in isolation. I have a buying team always on the lookout for books, a fantastic IT Team and a great group of professional colleagues and mentors that encourage and inspire me.
Please enjoy browsing through my books. If you know of a book that I should consider selling, are having trouble finding a book or perhaps you’re a writer about to publish a new book? Please talk to me.
The Book Merchant