Old Toodyay was a small village on the Avon River. It prospered briefly in the 1850s but was prone to flooding, and its demise began when the new town Newcastle was gazetted in 1861. Now it is a ghost town.
Newcastle was located further up the Avon River, closer to the convict depot and some established buildings. It changed its name to Toodyay in 1911 to avoid confusion with the NSW Newcastle.
Rica Erickson's classic history of Toodyay is fully referenced and indexed.